History

We have years of experience caring for families, from all walks of life. Each family comes to us because they know we are leaders in our profession, dedicated to excellence in service, and have the highest integrity.

Slininger-Schroeder Funeral Home is the established, deep rooted funeral home in Jefferson.  It was instituted by Clyde L. Slininger in 1919 and has been serving Greene County and the surrounding area since then.  In 1920 Mr. Slininger built the stately mortuary of Spanish architecture where it still stands today on the corner of Lincolnway and Vine in Jefferson, Iowa. 

The building's interior is picturesque.  The family arrangement room has a balcony window and full wall mural depicting Old Mexico. Incorporated into the mural is a mosaic fountain and fishpond, which were actually imported from Mexico.  These time-honored features of Slininger-Schroeder Funeral Home are sources of stability and comfort to families as consecutive generations are served. The entire facility emits the feeling of timeless beauty and serenity.

Aaron Schroeder, president and owner of Slininger-Schroeder Funeral Home, is a compassionate funeral director with strong leadership skills.  His vision for funeral service imparts the Slininger clientele with funeral services of the finest quality and highest dignity.   Joining in the effort is funeral director Debra Larson.  Together, these licensed professional funeral directors provide a most valuable service for this community:  Reverence for the dead, coupled with Respect and Sympathy for the living. 


In 1919, Clyde Slininger established Slininger Funeral Home in Jefferson, Iowa, and operated from rooms in a building on the northwest corner of the court house square. In April 1920, construction began on the Clyde Slininger Funeral Home On Lincolnway Street. The 20 x 80 foot structure faced north. The front was constructed of white brick with French doors and windows and tall columns on each side of the edifice.


The first addition to Slininger Funeral Home was in 1923. The funeral home became 34 feet longer and a second story was added. The addition provided an apartment for the Slininger family, storage space and a garage.

Another addition came in 1929. It included the west entry way. The next year the alley garage and the Southwestern Arcade were added. The mural in the Arcade was painted by artist Gordon Elliott.


In 1936, the final addition was built to give the home its present facilities and appearance. It provided an enlarged chapel, a new family room with its private entry and additional second floor facilities including an exterior stairway and patio.


The ornamental iron work which graces the Slininger Funeral Home in Jefferson was hand-wrought by Louie Berar Delli. Mr Delli owned and operated the Venetian Ornamental Iron Company of Des Moines. His expertise of iron work came from his ancestors dating back to 1544, when the Berardelli family became associated with the ancient art of the iron smith in a firm near Milan, Italy.


Louie Berar Delli began his exquisite work for Slininger's in 1936 when he crafted several wrought iron window boxes on the north side of the building, window grills and two gates, a hand railing and gate on the west side, the second floor outside patio railings, grills and an outside lamp in the archway on the northwest corner, the outside lamp at the second story entrance on the west side, and the small balcony and heating radiator grill work in the main floor southwestern arcade. In 1959, Mr. Delli created the railing along the alley, the decorative plates to which the canopy support chains are attached over the entrance to the building on the west side, the hanging lamps under the canopy at the west side entrance, the railings on either side of the west side porch entrance, tables, and the guest register stand. The finishing touches of iron work for the funeral home where completed by Louie Delli in the fall of 1974.


First Automobile Hearse used in Greene County 1915


Willy's Knight Hearse March 1926-July 1933

One of the very handsome and highly sensible additions to the Slininger Funeral Home in 1926 was a new funeral Coach, which Mr. Slininger brought home. The coach has very much the appearance of an ordinary sedan, though more of limousine form, with two side doors, and with rear openings thru which to place the casket. The new vehicle was so at variance from the old style hearse that one can hardly imagine any sort of similarity. It was certainly a refreshing change from the old style, so modest and so sensible in form as to have a special appeal to everyone. It was finished on the inside with the finest mohair, and was from the Willeys Knight concern, which is a guarantee of its power and sustainability. Mr. Slininger was congratulated upon his new funeral coach, giving as it does a most up-to-date vehicle for the funeral home. (Jefferson Herald 3-24-26)


Packard Funeral Coach July 1933 - April 1941


Merle Hay Funeral
Newspaper clipping from 7-20-1921
Body of War Hero to Be Laid to Rest at Glidden With Appropriate Services.

Next Sunday will be a memorable day at Glidden, it being the time set for the burial of the remains of Merle Hay, First American victim of the World War. Concerning the arrival of the body the Glidden Graphic last week had the following to say. "Quite unexpectedly the body of Merle Hay arrived in Glidden Thursday, July 14, at 11:48 a.m. from New York City. It was in charge of Sergeant Robert Randall. Not until forty-five minutes before train time was it known that the body was to reach Glidden today, hence only a few people were at the depot to meet it. The remains were taken in charge at once by Clyde Slininger Jefferson Undertaker, who was designated by the Government during the war to carry on burial work in France. His fine hearse arrived from Jefferson at 12:15 and the designated pall bearers took the body to the Legion room, where it will lie in state until the funeral a week from next Sunday. The body is enclosed in a beautiful oak casket, and the box was draped with the American flag and with flowers."

The funeral was to have been held last Sunday but the Bee understands that, on account of the Glidden Chautauqua then being held, the relatives were prevailed upon to postpone the service one week. In the meantime the body lies in state at the rooms of the Glidden American Legion, and under a guard of honor.

As was announced last week the Floyd Brown Post of the American Legion will have a leading part in the conduct of the funeral, and a large contingent of people will go from here to Glidden for the occasion.